Links/Affiliates
SPONSORS
Fantasy Football
LINK TO US
Link to FPM
Fantasy football forums
Add Fantasy football RSSFPM RSS

Dave Littlefield

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FantasyPlaymakers.com Forum Index -> MLB Fantasy Futures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Dave Littlefield Reply with quote

I don't think I can ever forgive this man for the damage he has done to the Pittsburgh Pirates. The list of his bone-headed moves goes on forever and includes one of the worst trades in baseball history among other things.

But I'll never forgive him for his drafting record. Here's a taste of who he picked in the first round, and who went afterwards, in his 6-year history of drafting for the Pirates.

Picking fourth, the Pirates inexplicably select COLLEGE RELIEF PITCHER!!!!!! Daniel Moskos, universally predicted to go in the middle to late first round, when Matt Wieters was just sitting there. Ownership swears they didn't prevent Littlefield from picking him because he's a Boras client, and Littlefield agrees.

Players selected after Moskos:

Matt Wieters
Ross Detwiler
More to be determined...

Pirates select Brad Lincoln, a college pitcher (you'll notice a trend soon) with mild pedigree who has already had shoulder surgery a few months after the draft(another trend you'll notice) and already is known to suck after missing all of 2007 recovering.

Players selected after Lincoln:

Andrew Miller
Clayton Kershaw
Tim Lincecum
Kyle Drabek
Ian Kennedy

Amazingly the Pirates didn't select until 11th, and THERE they find they're only legitimate position player prospect, Andrew McCutchen. Won't complain about him, but just for sh1ts and giggles, here's some guys who went after him:

Jay Bruce
Jacoby Ellsbury
Matt Garza
Colby Rasmus

The Pirates REEEEEAAACH for high school catcher Neil Walker at number 11 since he's from Pittsburgh. This shuts up much of the double-digit-IQ fan base who love everything local even though it sucks (i.e. Iron City Beer) Walker, now a 3rd baseman, is a marginal prospect and should have a career like Scott Spiezio if he reaches his full potential. Yippee!

Players after Walker:

Jered Weaver
Billy Butler
Stephen Drew
Josh Fields
Phil Hughes

Picking 8th, the Pirates select Paul Maholm, the only one of the 47 pitchers the Pirates selected in the first round since 1996 to NOT have major arm surgery. He does, however, miss extended time in the minors after breaking most of his face when hit by a line drive. A #4 starter, if he puts it together he can have a nice Kyle Lohse-like career. YIPPEE!!!!!

Players selected after Maholm:

John Danks
Ian Stewart
Lastings Milledge
Aaron Hill
Chad Cordero
Chad Billingsley
Daric Barton
Conor Jackson
Carlos Quentin

Here's the hands-down winner. Littlefield's FIRST tap dancing DRAFT should've thrown up the red flag, but didn't. Picking FIRST OVERALL the Pirates select Brian Bullington. A, you guessed it, college pitcher that ended up having shoulder surgery and still hasn't reached the majors. On the day of the draft, Littlefield said, "We project him to be a solid #3 starter in the majors." Just what you want out of the #1 overall pick, right?

Who went second? A guy named B.J. Upton.

Followed by, at some point,:

Adam Loewen
Zack Greinke
Prince Fielder
Jeff Francis
Jeremy Hermida
Khalil Greene
Scott Kazmir
Nick Swisher
Cole Hamels
James Loney
Jeff Francoeur
Joe Blanton
Matt Cain.

Oh, and for the record, the previous drafts:

2001: John VanBenschoten - NCAA HR leader, converted to pitcher inexplicably. Sucks hard after having shoulder AND elbow surgery.

2000: Sean Burnett - Another college pitcher who has had two arm surgeries, sucks, and is still in the minors.

I can't do this anymore...
ahathaway
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put this entire thread together? If so that is some major passion you have for your disdain for Littlefield.
Gdawg
FPM Admin
FPM Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be worse, you could be a fan of the Pirates...oh, right...
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

Yes, I did. You have no idea how much I long for a competent baseball team...
Greco
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gdawg wrote:

Laughing
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gdawg wrote:

Laughing

I should also mention some other Littlefield moves:

Trades minor-leaguer Chris Young (the pitcher) for Matt Herges, and then cuts Matt Herges a week later, before the season starts.

Loses 5 players in the first 6 picks of the rule 5 draft while all of the other GM's laugh at him.

I'M NOT KIDDING.

And most infamously: Trades Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton to the Cubs for Bobby Hill and Jose Hernandez.

Gives up on Ollie Perez WAY to early, shipping him and Roberto Hernandez to the Mets for Xavier Nady.

CREDIT WHERE IT'S DUE:

He made two good trades:

Sent Mike Gonzalez to the Braves for Adam LaRoche

and the really good one:

Got Jason Bay and Oliver Perez from the Padres for Brian Giles.

That's it.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to mention how they dealt away Chris Young (the pitcher) and Aramis Ramirez (in his prime) for pretty much nothing.
ahathaway
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surge wrote:
You forgot to mention how they dealt away Chris Young (the pitcher) and Aramis Ramirez (in his prime) for pretty much nothing.

Oh but you missed his last post.
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Yeah, added it in just before you posted, Surge. I was originally just focusing on his abysmal drafting record, which I could've gone one about for another few hours at least. Crying or Very sad
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sh!t, I was reading that long post, I didn't think anybody had replied. Well done. Compares favorably to my 10,000 losses post last season.
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, too, maybe?

Quote:
Benson started the 2004 season 8-8 with a 4.22 ERA (98 ERA+) in Pittsburgh. All summer long, trade rumors surrounded Benson. The most notable in retrospect was a deal for Ryan Howard; some sources say it was nixed by Phillies GM Ed Wade while others say the Pirates wanted more than just Howard. A report in the August 19, 2007 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette by Dejan Kovacevic indicated that the main reason according to close sources was that Pittsburgh felt Brad Eldred was comparable to Howard and they didn't need another young power-hitting prospect. Finally, on July 30, he was traded with Jeff Keppinger to the New York Mets for Jose Bautista, Ty Wigginton and Matt Peterson.
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surge wrote:
This, too, maybe?

Quote:
Benson started the 2004 season 8-8 with a 4.22 ERA (98 ERA+) in Pittsburgh. All summer long, trade rumors surrounded Benson. The most notable in retrospect was a deal for Ryan Howard; some sources say it was nixed by Phillies GM Ed Wade while others say the Pirates wanted more than just Howard. A report in the August 19, 2007 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette by Dejan Kovacevic indicated that the main reason according to close sources was that Pittsburgh felt Brad Eldred was comparable to Howard and they didn't need another young power-hitting prospect. Finally, on July 30, he was traded with Jeff Keppinger to the New York Mets for Jose Bautista, Ty Wigginton and Matt Peterson.

LMAO, I didn't bring that up because I still haven't heard definitively whether it was Littlefield or Wade who nixed the deal.

Do they say anything about that in Philly?

(And also there were rumors that a Kip Wells for Ryan Howard trade was near completion a couple years after that one.)
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone didn't click the first link about one of the worst trades in the history of baseball, I have to live with it every day of my life, so you have to read about it now.

Rajai Davis for Matt Morris and his contract.

Here's what some baseball men had to say about it when it happened last summer. (I'm convinced this was Littlefield's way of saying F%$K YOU to the team he knew was about to fire him.)

Jayson Stark wrote:
The Giants' brass was sitting around its suite Tuesday morning, bemoaning the fact that it had no decent deals cooking whatsoever. And then, out of the blue, it happened. The Pirates called. And wanted Matt Morris. His 7.94 ERA since mid-June? Not a problem. That $9.5 million he's owed next year (not counting his $1 million 2009 buyout)? Not a problem. And so they swooped in and finished off a deal for Morris minutes before the deadline -- for a legit prospect (Rajai Davis), a second prospect to be chosen from an agreed-upon list and absolutely zero money changing hands. Well, it didn't take long. For the next two hours, after people around baseball learned of this deal, they couldn't stop calling, e-mailing and texting reactions that could probably be summed up with three succinct words: WHAT THE BX!GRZFDQ!!!!! Don't get us wrong here. We love Matt Morris. Terrific guy. Has had a wonderful career. Should be a fine mentor to those young Pirates starters. But the Giants were just about begging teams to take Morris and offering to chomp big chunks of his money if they had to. Then this team going nowhere dropped out of the sky and took the man and the money. What a country. "That move," said one incredulous front-office man, "is so far out of left field, it's in the Monongahela."

Keith Law wrote:
Another year, another bizarre acquisition by the Pirates. But while last year's move to get Shawn Chacon was puzzling, acquiring Matt Morris is inexcusable. The last thing the Pirates need is another starter who gives up more than a hit an inning, but they got one in Morris. And unlike their other hittable starters, he's expensive. Morris is in the second season of a three-year, $27 million deal, so unless the Giants are kicking in some cash, he'll take up nearly 20 percent of the Pirates' payroll while contributing little or no value. To make matters worse, Morris has been pitching poorly of late, and he'll no longer get the protection offered by AT&T Park to pitchers with fringy stuff. There's no justification for this trade -- given how low the Pirates' payroll is, they just handicapped themselves for the next two years and it's not like they're making a push for the pennant this year. The Pirates are going nowhere right now, and with this deal, they're not going anywhere in the near future, either. The Giants get a fourth/fifth outfield type in Rajai Davis, but the big benefit to them is clearing Morris' salary from the books for this season and next year, while also removing the temptation to pick up the club option on Morris' contract for 2009. Davis is Joey Gathright with a little bit of plate discipline; he's very fast but has almost no power. He's a nice guy to have on the bench and is the type of guy a manager will overplay when he wants to "manufacture runs." Saving $14 million or so on Morris is good enough, so adding Davis is just gravy for the Giants.

Scott Miller wrote:
I know, I know. San Francisco? Aren't the Giants out of it? Yes, they are. But anybody who could entice Pittsburgh to pay every bit of the remainder of Morris' $13.7 million this year and next deserves a gold star.

"We need to turn the page on the way we were doing things," Giants GM/snake-charmer Brian Sabean says.

"We're going to need as much flexibility as we can."

They just got some.

Are the Pirates trying to stink? Morris is a gamer and a terrific teammate. But haven't the Pirates suffered through far too many terrible contracts over the past decade (Brian Giles, Jason Kendall, Derek Bell and Pat Meares, off the top of my head) to take on the remaining $13.7 million on a pitcher who is past his prime?
The buzz is that both GM Dave Littlefield and manager Jim Tracy are in deep trouble with the ownership change and a bitterly disappointing season, so the Pirates need to spend their money a whole lot more wisely than this."

(It should be noted that Miller had the Giants listed under "Terrific Work", while the Pirates were the one and only team listed under "Turn in your books and go home")
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their payroll is so low, look what they're resorting to!
The League
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John_Lubic wrote:
Their payroll is so low, look what they're resorting to!

should put littlefield on it then sink the thing
Kyle
FPM Owner/Webmaster
FPM Owner/Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great post...not only because I love laughing at Pittsburgh, but I love reading about this kind of stuff. Nice job, John.... A double Applause Applause for you!

This article is a little old, (2006), but it highlights some more of the Pirates genius!

Some exerpts
Quote:
1997, picking 8th, they choose J.J. Davis, he of a .179 average in 106 MLB at-bats to date. Anyone think #16, Lance Berkman, would look good in a Pirate uni right now?

1998, picking #15, they choose Clint Johnston, a pitcher who never rose above AA. They passed on a couple other pitchers you may have heard of: C.C. Sabathia, Brad Lidge, and Mark Prior.

1999, picking 8th, it's Bobby Bradley, one of many Pirate pitchers who would blow out his arm. They passed on #9 Barry Zito, #10 Ben Sheets, #12 Brett Myers, and #19 Alexis Rios. Wow.

continue reading....
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Kyle.

I almost forgot to mention Littlefield's first ever move as a GM.

Jason Schmidt traded to the Giants (with OF John Vander wal) for P Ryan Vogelsong and OF Armando Rios

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had only had a real GM, we could have a rotation of:

Jered Weaver
Cole Hamels
Tim Lincecum
Chad Billingsley
Matt Garza
The League
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John_Lubic wrote:
If we had only had a real GM, we could have a rotation of:

Jered Weaver
Cole Hamels
Tim Lincecum
Chad Billingsley
Matt Garza

the bright side is that they couldnt possibly draft any worse than they have so there has got to be an improvement in that department.

right? pale
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would think. One would think.

1.) Where do the Pirates pick in the draft this year.
2.) When is his appointment with James Andrews.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you really put most of the blame on Littlefield for the drafts? I know he pulled the trigger, but the scouts are the ones who are telling the GM who's worth it.
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surge wrote:
Can you really put most of the blame on Littlefield for the drafts? I know he pulled the trigger, but the scouts are the ones who are telling the GM who's worth it.

1.) One the one hand, that's a somewhat valid point. On the other hand, it is the GM who is responsible for hiring the scouts. (aside from "pull[ing] the trigger" as well.) Therefore he has ownership for the pick, since he pulled the trigger, and the scout, since he...scouted...and hired the scout.

2.) Your point is more valid for marginal prospects and lower-level draft picks, though, don't you think? We're talking about the first round here, where there's almost a nationwide consensus among scouts and writers as to roughly what order the top 30 prospects are in.

3.) Think that would work on people in Detroit and New York if you said that about Matt Millen or Isiah Thomas? Razz
John_Lubic
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I'm not sure I blame him for is Bullington over Upton. I'm pretty sure former team President Kevin McClatchy was refusing to negotiate with Boras on that one.

Thank you, Kevin McClatchy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FantasyPlaymakers.com Forum Index -> MLB Fantasy Futures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: