SPONSORS
Fantasy Football
LINK TO US
Link to FPM
Fantasy football forums
Add Fantasy football RSSFPM RSS

Philadelphia Flyers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FantasyPlaymakers.com Forum Index -> Eastern Conference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gagne's out for the rest of '08 on the advice of the doctors. They also traded Vandermeer for a 3rd rounder, you know, since we acquired all-1960's defenseman Jaroslav Modry.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's nine in a row via 3-1 San Jose. 10th place.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numero 10 in a row. Yay losing to Florida at home in overtime. ONE POINT BABY!
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flucking Finally.
chainkilla
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back from being down 3-0 and then Briere scores the winner in the shootout IN Buffalo.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead in the water, slowly making way for Ovechkin's Caps to take the eight seed, Philly has now finally gotten something going. 3 straight Ws and they're now in seventh two back of the Rangers for sixth (guess who they face tomorrow!), or they could end up facing the Pens who they beat up earlier in the year only to get a$$raped recently. We'll see, but Briere's finally living up to the paycheck with Vinny Prospal and that line's got some chemistry. And Richards has four points in five games in his return. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Holmgren already made his first major move the off-season.

Quote:
The Flyers added depth to their blue line, acquiring defenseman Danny Syvret from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for forward Ryan Potulny. Syvret, 22, had two goals and 18 assists with 43 penalty minutes in 63 regular-season games for Springfield and Hershey of the American Hockey League last season.

From what I gather about Syvret, he's a solid defenseman, but I think Potulny will end up being the better player down the line, points-wise. However, our need for a defenseman is very, very high.

On the rumor front, RJ Umberger, a RFA who will likely be released or at least made a difficult sign because of his dominant playoff run, maybe dealt. Andrej Meszaros, the 21-year old Ottawa d-man, is one name mentioned. Upshall has been rumored to be in the Meszaros deal, and I'd love it. Upshall's a hard working type, but he does take untimely penalties and can't really score like we had expected he would.

Yet another deal involves another young d-man, Ryan Suter of the Preds. Hockeybuzz.com proposes a deal of RJ for Suter straight up, which would be excellent for Philly. We made the Forsberg deal with the same Predators, so we seem to be on good terms. Suter adds some speed and depth along the blueline and is only 23 himself.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay. This team rules.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I mention I love this team? With all my heart. you guys are what's carrying me until Spring Training. If I have one move, it would be in some ridiculous way... trading Danny Briere. I don't think it will happen, but our centers are golden and another defenseman or even a goalie would be an excellent pickup. We just don't need to waste the money and Briere hasn't lived up to the deal.

But either way, I luuuuuuuuuuv you.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-5, jeebus. Carter had a hatty (44 baby) and Claude Giroux (probably showing that he is THE most talented player on the team) continues to develop into an elite player - another goal and two assists. 7 total points for the 21-year old in the last 3 games.

All this came after Homer lit a fire under this team yesterday - calling out some players including el capitan, Mike Richards, and fellow leaders and top liners Gagne, Hartnell, Carter and Knubleand dishing some harsh words. Biron did allow a few softies and more stupid rebounds, and the defense looked terribly average after the first period, but scoring eight goals remedies a lot - including five in the first period, four on defense-to-offense transition.

Though they won, they still have a ton to work on to earn that playoff spot.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After another disappointing exit versus Pitt, Philly has some tough choices.

#1 is Marty Biron. He's been our goalie the past two years, including in that conf. title run, but he came up small in game six of the series. However, overall, he had a really strong series compared to say, the offense, which boasted six 25-goal scorers who scored just eight goals combined. The goalie options in F/A are average with the exception of the likely high-priced Khabibulin, and there are zero prospects of worth in the system. I don't see us re-signing him to be a backup, but Marty, though criticized and lambasted, has still been with the fans every step of the way as far as marketing toward them and being approached by them. He's got the tough skin to play here, unfortunately, he doesn't have the skills to lead us to a Cup. I say he's gone since he'll only be a stopgap solution. We know he's good at best, mediocre more often than not, so why not try something different? Then again, Chris Osgood won a Cup last year, so let's not be hasty. With our options, he could return, but my gut tells me that will be hard to sell to the fans considering he'll get #1 goalie money.

#2 is Mike Knuble. Ah, what a tough decision to make, but in a good way. Claude Giroux, the 21-year old rookie, played like a 15-year vet down the stretch and versus the Pens, and he showcased himself to everyone as maybe the best future winger on this team. So does his season bump him to the #1 line, allowing Homer to ditch Knoobs? Knoobs was also a team leader, and he was a big presence in the lockerroom, but that doesn't say much considering how on/off this team was. Really, there was no leadership aside from Richards and Knuble, and even that was not too impressive since everyone seems like friends. Honestly, this team needs a shakeup, two or three new veterans with experience to come in and lead the pups. This team needs people to answer to when they have horrendous showings like in the second and third periods versus Pittsburgh of the final game six. Knuble, though, has already got Homer's cell on contract negotiations. So, you're back.

3. Antero Niittymaki - the backup goalie is totally gone. He just didn't have it, which is why Biron was named starter with a week or so left in the season. Antero just looked scared straight much of the time when he talked to Homer and Stevens, suggesting his 10-year run in Philly is up. Injuries also play a part. Adios, Niitty.

4. Andrew Alberts - personally, I don't see how he isn't re-signed. He really did a solid job in the playoffs, solidifying the 2nd line, and he has a decent shot.

In terms of free agency, this team needs a big, vet center who can win key faceoffs. Radek Bonk could be that guy as he finished third in the league in that category and he won't cost as much as a points scorer. At 32, he's also on his downstretch, but I'll take an almost 60% faceoff success rate.

Our only goalie is Johan Backlund, and according to my predictions, he'll be the only one in camp entering F/A. Finding a #1 goalie maybe done through trade (JS Giguere, or is he done?), or by trying to pry away a Clemensen from NJ, or something along those lines.

There was so much defensive turnover last year. We had guys on the roster down the stretch making $99 a day. I didn't even know a couple players because they were nobodies in the NHL. We needed bodies. So a veteran who avoids injuries for the most part would be a great addition. We have a really good d-man in Timonen, future star in Coburn and youngsters who showed promise in Carle and Parent.

Also, what to do with Danny Briere? He's making $6.5M playing on a third line (though to be fair, the third line was very strong with Giroux). Right now, they're $7M under the cap, maybe $2-3M under after giving deals to Knoobs and Alberts. So is Briere a tradeable commodity? How can you deal an oft-injured, rather average defensive forward who played on the third line for anything when his price tag is so high? You can't. The other options are Joffrey Lupul and Scott Hartnell. This goes back to leadership. Since so many of the players are buddy-buddy, accountability is hard to find. So trading a Lupul or Hartnell for a vet with tough skin and more expectations will certainly present more accountability for disgusting efforts in 2009-10.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Peter Zezel. 61 points his rookie season for Philly. Part of a young, young team that lost to the Oilers in seven in 1987. For some reason, they dealt him to St. Louis and he'd eventually have a couple 30-goal seasons. Died of hemolytic anemia at age 44.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four straight wins for the Orange and Black with a tough 2-1 victory vs. the Blues. Emery's been a beast on the winning streak, and the checking line's (Blair Betts has been astoundingly important to their success) really come out of nowhere with some goals and excellent defense. Pronger's been Pronger, the D's a lot more consistent, and the team's just not as dependent on Richards and Carter as was the case last year. Reamer has been as good as advertised while Giroux has started where he left off in the playoffs - the future looks unbelievably bright. The Flyers boast the #1 PP right now and a top 5 PK. Only Washington has more total goals per game, and the Flyers still are a top-ten team in GAA. The high amount of PIM remains a big worry, but they've drawn about as many penalties as they've committed.

I guess the only big negative is watching our former backup netminder be top 5 in GAA and tops in save % right now.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we suck now. Down goes Lilja, just after Meszaros, well after we let Carle go to Tampa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FantasyPlaymakers.com Forum Index -> Eastern Conference All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: