Links/Affiliates
SPONSORS
Fantasy Football
LINK TO US
Link to FPM
Fantasy football forums
Add Fantasy football RSSFPM RSS

Newly drafted high school kids.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FantasyPlaymakers.com Forum Index -> MLB Fantasy Futures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OkieBeatdown
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Newly drafted high school kids. Reply with quote

Play GM for a moment. you draft a high draft pick out of high school, say a pitcher. do you give this kid some time to kick around and take a breather after his senior season or would you run him off to his minor league assignment and just keep a watch on the number of innings he is given first off. Makes for a really long 18th or 19th year of life IMO.
Fantasy Football
bashbrothers
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly drafted high school kids. Reply with quote

O's Stro Bro wrote:
Play GM for a moment. you draft a high draft pick out of high school, say a pitcher. do you give this kid some time to kick around and take a breather after his senior season or would you run him off to his minor league assignment and just keep a watch on the number of innings he is given first off. Makes for a really long 18th or 19th year of life IMO.

If I'm a front office official I definately want to see my investmet out on the field immediately. I mean, if he wants to play pro ball then that person has to be commited to the organization. That person should've taken a break before going into the draft and commiting to a career in baseball.
OkieBeatdown
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly drafted high school kids. Reply with quote

bashbrothers wrote:
O's Stro Bro wrote:

If I'm a front office official I definately want to see my investmet out on the field immediately. I mean, if he wants to play pro ball then that person has to be commited to the organization. That person should've taken a break before going into the draft and commiting to a career in baseball.

Did you play ball competitively after Jr. High? if you did you know how terribly rigorous the regimen can be. not only is there the school ball but during the summers there is the summer leagues and etc. I kid you not, these kids eat breath and sleep baseball for 5+ years before the draft. (and you are right) it is all for the same ends, getting drafted. I am not saying one way or the other is right. just that it was something I was thinking about.

I guess to add a bit more to it. I often wonder if this is why so many players end up bombing out before they reach the bigs.
bashbrothers
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly drafted high school kids. Reply with quote

O's Stro Bro wrote:
bashbrothers wrote:
O's Stro Bro wrote:

Did you play ball competitively after Jr. High? if you did you know how terribly rigorous the regimen can be. not only is there the school ball but during the summers there is the summer leagues and etc. I kid you not, these kids eat breath and sleep baseball for 5+ years before the draft. (and you are right) it is all for the same ends, getting drafted. I am not saying one way or the other is right. just that it was something I was thinking about.

I do not play baseball in high school, but I play soccer and I know that you have to be committed to the game. Granted, the regimens are very rigorous, but that's the territory that comes with wanting to be a "professional athlete." "It is a priviledge, not a right."
OkieBeatdown
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"It is a priviledge, not a right."

I agree. but remember, we are "playing GM", so hypothetically, we are trying to think of the best interest of this player we just used a high draft pick on and paid quite a bit of guaranteed money to.
bashbrothers
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O's Stro Bro wrote:
Quote:

I agree. but remember, we are "playing GM", so hypothetically, we are trying to think of the best interest of this player we just used a high draft pick on and paid quite a bit of guaranteed money to.

So then, in this case......I'm sticking with my stance of seeing him play immediately.
OkieBeatdown
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bashbrothers wrote:
O's Stro Bro wrote:
Quote:

So then, in this case......I'm sticking with my stance of seeing him play immediately.

gotcha. cool. anyone else want to chime in?
Gdawg
FPM Admin
FPM Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put in my 2 cents. I think that they should definitely be thrown out there right away to at least rookie league ball. Its tough on them, but I think they need to start pitching in the major league franchise's system ASAP to know what they need to start working on. I definitely think you should work with the younger kids a lot on how to rest properly between starts and what to do and what not to do. I read that throwing each day helps a lot to keep young arms fresh and not pitching, so make sure that you get some coaches in rookie league and low A ball to teach them things like that to prevent injuries and fatigue early in a pitcher's career.
OkieBeatdown
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gdawg wrote:
I'll put in my 2 cents. I think that they should definitely be thrown out there right away to at least rookie league ball. Its tough on them, but I think they need to start pitching in the major league franchise's system ASAP to know what they need to start working on. I definitely think you should work with the younger kids a lot on how to rest properly between starts and what to do and what not to do. I read that throwing each day helps a lot to keep young arms fresh and not pitching, so make sure that you get some coaches in rookie league and low A ball to teach them things like that to prevent injuries and fatigue early in a pitcher's career.

hell yeah! that's what I'm talking about! 2 great responses so far. come on guys bring the smack!
krush40
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it varies depending on position with pitchers being the more fickle.

A position player I would say throw him out there right away, in Rookie or A - ball. It is likely the kid has been preparing for draft and has been working out, both on the field and in the weight room and should be able to play immediately.

A pitcher, I think it depends on the situation. I would definitely want to see him in there, but maybe not an everyday, become the workhorse of the team. I would say put a pitcher in limited time for the rest of this season (the lower leagues dont go as late into the fall as the majors do) and spend a lot of attention to strength building and training to prepare for the start of next season.

Call me timid, but what is a player really going to accomplish by the end of the season? Better safe than sorry. It really depends on the guy though.
ahathaway
FPM Staff
FPM Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say definitely bring them in. They need to immediately set into a baseball regiment that I am sure is different than the high school one. If not they will take longer to mold into the player you want them to be.
OkieBeatdown
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krush40 wrote:
I think it varies depending on position with pitchers being the more fickle.

A position player I would say throw him out there right away, in Rookie or A - ball. It is likely the kid has been preparing for draft and has been working out, both on the field and in the weight room and should be able to play immediately.

A pitcher, I think it depends on the situation. I would definitely want to see him in there, but maybe not an everyday, become the workhorse of the team. I would say put a pitcher in limited time for the rest of this season (the lower leagues dont go as late into the fall as the majors do) and spend a lot of attention to strength building and training to prepare for the start of next season.

Call me timid, but what is a player really going to accomplish by the end of the season? Better safe than sorry. It really depends on the guy though.

I totally agree with this position. pitchers are a different animal. keep an eye on the number of innings you have him throwing and bring him along slowly until you see how he handles it. I think there are a lot of Rick Ankiel type cases that we never hear about because maybe the players don't quite make it as far along as Rick did. I think if people would keep in mind that these are still just kids and approach it in that way, perhaps that sort of thing would not be as much of a problem.

Thanks for your input folks! I do a lot of "playing GM" in my mind, and often throw things like this out there because I want to hear what others think or feel on the subject.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the draft's in June, so I'd probably give the kid 2-3 starts, but before that, I'd have him pitch 2-3 relief appearances in rookie ball. 4-6 appearances overall is pretty good for a first year. I didn't draft him expecting to THEN SEE how good he is. I already know how good he is, and if I trust my scouting and my development teams, I have no problem waiting for his arm to be at full strength the following year and watching him in low A.
krush40
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to school and played little league with a guy who was drafted out of high school, but then elected to go to college and is now pitching in AA for the yankees ( well Trenton Thunder if you want to be precise).

Assuming he would sign out of high school he (as he should have) took work outs much more seriously than the rest of the team. Where a "normal" kid can get away with screwing around and not being 110% committed, he knew baseball was going to be his life and needed to take it seriously. Now hes tearing up AA.

My point being, you pretty much know if your going to be drafted or not. And if you don't prepare and get yourself in shape, or you over work yourself, your stupid.
bashbrothers
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krush40 wrote:
I went to school and played little league with a guy who was drafted out of high school, but then elected to go to college and is now pitching in AA for the yankees ( well Trenton Thunder if you want to be precise).

Assuming he would sign out of high school he (as he should have) took work outs much more seriously than the rest of the team. Where a "normal" kid can get away with screwing around and not being 110% committed, he knew baseball was going to be his life and needed to take it seriously. Now hes tearing up AA.

My point being, you pretty much know if your going to be drafted or not. And if you don't prepare and get yourself in shape, or you over work yourself, your stupid.

What's his name??? I've seen Trenton play the Portland Sea Dogs many times. I might know him.
krush40
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#61 Brett Smith

He's a SP

And I got a hit off of him when we were like 12.
bashbrothers
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krush40 wrote:
#61 Brett Smith

He's a SP

And I got a hit off of him when we were like 12.

Yeah...I saw him pitch in April. He was pretty good. But I'm pretty sure he got the loss. Laughing
krush40
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's 6-2 with a 1.99 era so far this year.

He has also taken 3 no hitters into the 6th, 7th, and 8th respectively.

Its too bad he isn't playing NL ball, cause the kid can hit. When we were little, we'd be trying to hit homeruns over the fence. He would be trying to hit it over the fence that was behind the football bleachers which would require him to hit it over the baseball fence, the football field, the football bleachers and fence. Ad he almost did it once. He was hitting HR's switch hitting at the age of 10.

He is the only person I know who would be intentionally walked as a 4th grader.
bashbrothers
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krush40 wrote:
He's 6-2 with a 1.99 era so far this year.

He has also taken 3 no hitters into the 6th, 7th, and 8th respectively.

Its too bad he isn't playing NL ball, cause the kid can hit. When we were little, we'd be trying to hit homeruns over the fence. He would be trying to hit it over the fence that was behind the football bleachers which would require him to hit it over the baseball fence, the football field, the football bleachers and fence. Ad he almost did it once. He was hitting HR's switch hitting at the age of 10.

He is the only person I know who would be intentionally walked as a 4th grader.

It must be kind of cool to know a guy on the fast track to the majors????
incowboysfan
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: fast Reply with quote

as a GM or any other mgt in the front office, the thought should be to get that player on the field and in the experience building his mechanics as soon as possible. But to be smart about it, and not run them down like some players who get hurt early and don't get better in their careers.
krush40
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bashbrothers wrote:

As crazy as it may seem, I have had a lot of run-ins with now pro athletes when we were kids.

Brett is the only baseball player that I know of, but a lot of basketball players.

In high school I played basketball against Tyson Chandler, Teshawn Prince, and DJ Strawberry (Darryl Strawberry's kid - he plays for Arkansas (I think) right now). I also played in a tournament with LeBron James, although we didnt play them.

The scary part was that Chandler and Prince were on the same team. LOL they killed us.
bashbrothers
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krush40 wrote:
bashbrothers wrote:

As crazy as it may seem, I have had a lot of run-ins with now pro athletes when we were kids.

Brett is the only baseball player that I know of, but a lot of basketball players.

In high school I played basketball against Tyson Chandler, Teshawn Prince, and DJ Strawberry (Darryl Strawberry's kid - he plays for Arkansas (I think) right now). I also played in a tournament with LeBron James, although we didnt play them.

The scary part was that Chandler and Prince were on the same team. LOL they killed us.

D.J. is at Maryland, I think.
krush40
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right. I knew Ark didn't sound right.
Surge
FPM Legend
FPM Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Strawberry was on the Terps, he's in this year's draft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FantasyPlaymakers.com Forum Index -> MLB Fantasy Futures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: